Friday, March 16, 2012

A Confession

Michael is gone this evening participating in a Nerf war with his youth group, so I'm taking liberties with his blog.

We have all learned so many lessons from Michael's cancer.  Our family will never be the same, and I must admit that the changes are an unexpected blessing.  One lesson in particular has been on my mind quite a bit over the last weeks.

Struggling, hurting people are all around us.  Just in the past few months, so many people that we know have been touched by cancer.  A new teacher at Michael's school was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over the Christmas holidays.  One of Michael's teaching assistants from several years ago, who has since married and begun her own family, lost a newborn to brain cancer.  A church friend began intense treatment for prostate cancer.  A dear family member who has battled cancer for the past six years was just told that he should not expect to live more than a year.  I'm confident that you could add many more people to this list.

In the midst of all this heartache, I have become keenly aware of the fact that my compassion for others who are suffering has not driven me to reach out as I should have.  For months now, our family has been comforted and encouraged in many, many ways--small gestures, large gifts, thoughtful notes, anonymous acts of kindness, and many prayers--by loving people near and far.  When I think about the number of times that I could have shown the same love to others who were heartbroken, I'm ashamed of my poor efforts. 

I am committing to change this failure on my part into a genuine mission.  I don't know that I'll ever be that unique person who seems to know just what to do or say or give to help others when they have a need, but I can certainly do better.  Maybe I'll just send a card, make a meal, run errands, help with childcare, or simply sit and listen, but I will do something.  I offer a heartfelt thanks to those of you who are such lovely examples of true compassion and encourage everyone to join me in finding and uplifting someone who is hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment